DoubleTake: April 1990
Each month we do a look back to twenty years ago. Here is April Vogue 1990.
Vogue, April 1990
Editor: Anna Wintour
Newsstand Price: $3 bucks
Cover Model: Christy Turlington
At the collections this season, a new, softer, prettier look ...
when they had a reason to be.
What's simple isn't always plain.
. And my most favorite Ralph Lauren ad campaign of all time,
Safari.. . . . As for Double D Ranch 20 years ago, we were:
- just coming off of our first show with more orders for blanket coats than we had available blankets for.
- scratching our heads at the retailer's question, "What will you be showing next season?"
- sending me to the Javits Center in New York for a textile sourcing show in which I returned home with a moth-eaten red bandanna ...and which when Dad saw it, exclaimed, "what the H@!) are we gonna make with that?" (this bandanna would go on to be my inspiration for Double D Ranch'sâ„¢ first spring collection)
- taking a gamble and ordering 500 yards of "Cherokee Indian blanket" fabric from an unknown mill in Italy. (this would prove to be far too little as we sold through within the first two hours of our next show and ended up ordering over 4,000 yards total - see below)
- doing our own version of an Annie Leibovitz at an abandoned church in Yoakum.
as you can see, this gives new meaning to 'Annie get your gun'!.Cherokee Indian Blanket Skirt & Vest