Hat, Sombrero, High Crown, Deep Dish, Mexican Revolution Era, Vintage 1890's - 1915
A CENTURY-OLD SOMBRERO!
“This was an incredible find,” said Cheryl McMullen. “It dates back to the Mexican Revolution era, like 1890 to 1915ish! And considering it’s more than a hundred years old now, it’s in impressive shape. The labels are worn, and you can tell it’s lived a life before it came to us, but I think it’s beautiful because of that, not despite it.”
The sombrero is a beaver felted fur hat with a high crown and deep dish silhouette. It is a deep burgundy in color, accented with a matte silver braid and bullion cord. This is a piece that belongs with a true collector.
- affiliation: Mexico
- hallmarks: labels are worn
- materials: beaver felted fur, braid
- crown circumference: 20:
- brim: 6" includes roll crown
- height: 8"
- braid band: 2 1/2"
- weight: 69 grams
- nice vintage condition
- light surface wear and matting
- linings and band are gone
- the label is faded and torn
- typical wear from ethnographic use
- style number: JM297