Cuff, Turquoise, Single Stone, Incredible Silverwork, Simplicio Hallmark, Vintage '70s, 2704
Stunning silverwork from a well-admired artisan.
Crafted by renowned Zuni artisan Mike Simplicio in the early 1970s (before his untimely death in 1976), this vintage beauty features a statement-sized slab of blue turquoise with some soft matrixing, set in a serrated bezel on a band of incredibly intricate sterling silver. The craftsmanship is truly awe-inspiring and the result is absolutely beautiful.
Mike Simplicio (1937 - 1976; Zuni). Active 1950s - 1970s. Nugget work; appliqué. The late Mike Simplicio shared marks with his wife Sarah Simplicio. Son of Dan Simplicio.Marks: M (with a tilde); MIKE; M. SIMPLICIO; M. S.; M. S. SIMPLICIO
- artist: Mike Simplicio (d)
- affiliation: Zuni
- hallmarks: M (with ~ over)
- materials: sterling silver, turquoise
- dimensions: 6" inside, 2" gap
- stone: 2" x 2 1/2"
- weight: 109 gram
- condition: nice vintage condition, stone is secure in its setting, stone chip or hairline fracture in corner, silver has a nice patina, wear from ethnographic use
- style number: JB2704