Bolo, Turquoise & Red Coral, Hallmark, Mike Simplicio, Vintage, '70s, 1097
If you want to go bold, go bolo.
Crafted by famed Zuni jewelry artisan Mark Simplicio who is known for his nugget work and silver appliqué. Mark was active on the Native American jewelry scene from the ‘50s through the mid ‘70s, before his untimely death in 1976. His work is still widely beloved and highly sought after. This particular piece is a vintage ‘70s bolo featuring a gorgeous green turquoise nugget and a free-form cabochon of red coral in tiny serrated bezels set on a whimsically-shaped sterling silver slide with stampwork details. The cord is a classic braided leather, but it has unique handmade aiguillettes.
Mike Simplicio (1937 - 1976; Zuni). Active 1950s - 1970s. Nugget work; appliqué. The late Mike Simplicio shared marks with his wife Sarah Simplicio. Son of Dan Simplicio.Marks: M (with a tilde); MIKE; M. SIMPLICIO; M. S.; M. S. SIMPLICIO
- artist: Mike Simplicio (d)
- affiliation: Zuni
- markings: M. SIMPLICIO
- materials: sterling silver, turquoise, coral, leather cording
- dimensions: 44" end to end
- shield: 3" x 2"
- weight: 76 grams
- closure: tension clamp, BENNETT PAT PEND C-31
- condition: nice vintage condition, stones are secure in their settings, silver has a nice patina
- style number: JN1097