Belt, Gaucho Kidney Belt with Coin Pockets, Argentina, Handwoven, Dated 1962
WEARABLE WORK OF ART.
This incredible vintage belt is actually a deaccession from our very own DDR Design Library (where Cheryl hoards all her inspiration) and was used for the Los Gauchos Collection. The colorful Argentinian piece dates back to 1962 and is what’s known as a kidney belt. The wide 3-buckle silhouette was crafted from leather, muslin, and hand-loomed cotton, and is equipped with coin pockets. The craftsmanship is remarkable and it’s certainly unlike anything else in your collection.
- affiliation: South America
- materials: leather, muslin, cotton hand-loom, base metal findings
- measurements: 31" strap
- weight: 146 grams
- condition: vintage condition
- one leather strap is cut short
- tears to muslin lining
- distressing to leather, especially at billets
- wear from ethnographic use
- style number: FA1029